Thursday, January 21, 2010

Christmas Catch Up - Part 1

Well, yet another trip back to Arkansas for the second funeral in a month...with a sick little boy...who shared his germs with mama....it's been a long January. This time we mourned the loss of Cupcake Daddy's paternal grandfather. Again, illness took a toll on his body and Grandpa Doug left this life on his 86th birthday. He and Grandma Dee treated my like family from day one. I will miss his silly jokes and songs but enjoy seeing that talent in both of my children. It was a life well lived.

Enough with the melancholy...Now, to catch up on a few things! I just have to share few ideas that you might want to file away and use some day. So that this post won't be SOOOO long, I will split it into two. This one will focus on decorating ideas and the next one will feature some easy gifts that you will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and want to try soon for yourself.

First up...I found this super cute Christmas cupcake fabric on sale on Hobby Lobby a few weeks before Christmas. I used my super handy iron on fusible webbing and turned out these matching shirts for Miss M and myself. A little ribbon detail (the bow is removable for washing) plus some hand-stitching around the edges for added detail and this is what you get... (You can click on the picture to see the details better.) I already have plans for a Valentine shirt for Miss M.)
Remember this post, where I shared with you a blog that inspired me to make seasonal banners for the mantel? Here's another one I made...
The peppermint candle in the corner is super easy to make...take a pillar candle (mine is red) and place a thick rubber band around the middle. Then slip your candy canes under the rubber band. Finish it off with ribbon to cover the rubber band. You can also use the J shaped candy canes...putting the crook at the bottom, facing out. I told you it was too easy!

Next up...larger than life suckers! I painted a few dowels cut to various lengths white. Then I stuck the rods into styrofoam circles, wrapped the circles in cellophane and wired them closed at the bottom. I then covered the wire with ribbon. I bought a roll of mylar wrapping paper at the dollar store and covered a cashew can that I filled with sand borrowed from the kid's sandbox. I think I will change a red to green for next year...just used materials I had on hand. And I think I want ribbon other than white....again used what I had. (Ignore how groddy my porch looks...it was below freezing when I took the picture!) The little wooden peppermints were something I clipped off an ugly swag I picked up while thrifting.
Last up....the mailbox...I found the cute ribbon at the dollar tree and added it to a floral something that was 50% at Hobby Lobby...making this cost a grand total of $3!
Now, just a few random Christmas pictures...

Stop the insanity!!!
"Oh brother!" she seems to be saying....literally!Cupcake Daddy showing his GQ side in the Razorback snuggie that he received from Aunt J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails